Most Active Stories
- State College pilots web project to boost civic engagement
- Take Note: Noted Nigerian Author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Talks about Her Novel "Americanah"
- A Quest For The Unattainable Unification Of Knowledge
- Remembering Susan Riddiford Shedd
- State College Borough Council Poised to Approve Tax Increase
WPSU News Team
Fri June 13, 2014
Take Note: Education Expert Dr. Henry Brzycki on Educating the "Whole Child"
We’ve been hearing a lot about the Common Core recently. Oklahoma and South Carolina withdrew from the national education standards last week. Indiana pulled out in March. State College education expert and former Department of Education consultant Henry Brzycki tells us why he thinks the Common Core and other high stakes testing is not the best answer for educating our kids. Brzycki is the founder of The Brzycki Group and the author of the recent book, The Self in Schooling: Theory and Practice -- How to Create Happy, Healthy, Flourishing Children in the 21st Century. He told WPSU’s Emily Reddy he supports “competency based learning.”