Health Minute: Youth Sports
You’re listening to WPSU’s Health Minute, a collaboration with Penn State’s College of Nursing.
Many young athletes getting ready to resume sports during the summer months. According to the CDC, more than 2.6 million children are treated each year for sports and recreation-related injuries.
Safety tips for youth sports include:
- Get a pre-participation physical exam to help ensure that you're healthy to participate.
- Be sure the coach has emergency contact information for parents and doctors, as well as any medical conditions and treatment.
- Check for a fully stocked first aid kit on hand at every game and practice.
- Make sure there are procedures for concussions and COVID-19 precautions.
- Wear the right protective equipment for the sport. Make sure it fits properly and is in good repair.
For more information, visit Safekids.org.