Judge Dismisses Sandusky's Request For New Trial

Oct 18, 2017

Jerry Sandusky entering courthouse with paperwork
Credit AP Photo / Gene J. Puskar

A judge denied convicted sex offender Jerry Sandusky’s motion for a new trial on Wednesday. His lawyers had argued that Sandusky should get a new trial because of mistakes his previous attorneys had made.

Calling the bulk of Sandusky’s claims meritless, Judge John Foradora dismissed a long list of complaints from the one-time Penn State assistant football coach.

Sandusky had argued his former attorney, Joe Amendola, had been ineffective or made bad decisions throughout the trial.

In the 60-page ruling, Foradora addressed Sandusky’s complaints in detail, in the end dismissing the request for a new trial.

Sandusky is serving 30 to 60 years in prison. He was convicted of 45 counts of sexually abusing 10 boys.

The scandal shook Penn State, its alumni and the community. It has cost Penn State more than $200 million in settlements, fines and legal costs.

Attorney General Josh Shapiro said he is confident the convictions will stand. In a statement responding to the ruling, Shapiro said, “Hopefully, today’s decision will allow the victims of Mr. Sandusky to live their lives knowing that this serial sexual abuser will remain behind bars.”

Sandusky has 30 days to appeal to the state Superior Court.