Health Minute: Carbon Monoxide

Jan 19, 2021

WPSU’s Health Minute is a collaboration with Penn State’s College of Nursing.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and tasteless gas that’s produced when fuel is burned in gas stoves, fireplaces, furnaces, or vehicles. The gas can build up in closed areas and poison people and animals who breathe in the vapor.  

Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to headaches, weakness, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, confusion, and even death.  

You can prevent exposure to carbon monoxide by installing a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector in your home, and by having your heating system checked by a professional every year. Make sure gas appliances are vented properly, and never run your vehicle or generator inside a garage, even when the garage door is open.  

For more information, visit the Office of the State Fire Commissioner.

For all our episodes, visit wpsu.org/healthminute