Most Active Stories
- State College pilots web project to boost civic engagement
- Take Note: Noted Nigerian Author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Talks about Her Novel "Americanah"
- Remembering Susan Riddiford Shedd
- A Quest For The Unattainable Unification Of Knowledge
- State College Borough Council Poised to Approve Tax Increase
WPSU News Team
Mon August 18, 2014
Arts tourism as economic development: Tionesta's Market Village and Arts and Culture Corridor
Visitors to the town of Tionesta are greeted by this sign: "A Special Place With a Relaxed Pace."
The Forest County village is nestled among heavily wooded forests; a quaint lighthouse stands guard over the Allegheny River, which borders the town.
But financially, the town has seen better days. Once home to manufacturers like Evenflo, the baby bottle maker, Tionesta watched its economy start to tank in the 1990s as factories moved out.
Then a fire took out a prominent block of the downtown in 2003.
Read the full version of this report at the website of Keystone Crossroads, a new statewide public media initiative reporting on the challenges facing Pennsylvania's cities. WPSU is a participating station.