WPSU’s Health Minute is a collaboration with Penn State’s College of Nursing.
Food poisoning peaks in the summer. Here are some tips to make your grilling season safer:
- When shopping, add meat, poultry, and seafood to your shopping cart right before checkout. Keep them in separate grocery bags and below 40 degrees.
- Always wash your hands with soap before and after handling raw foods.
- Don’t cross contaminate. Throw out marinades and sauces that have touched raw meat.
- Use clean utensils and plates when removing cooked foods from the grill.
- Refrigerate leftovers within an hour if the temperature outside is above 90 degrees.
Find more information on safe food handling during warmer months at health.pa.gov.
For all our episodes, visit wpsu.org/healthminute.